Thank you for considering adopting a rescue dog. Here are the steps you’ll need to take to adopt a dog from CPA!
Step One: Find the Right Dog
Browse our dogs online or come to our of our adoption events to meet our dogs. If the dog’s page indicates that it is in foster, contact us at Adoptions@ClermontPetsAlive.org and we will put you in touch with the foster home.
We want to help you find the perfect dog for you. We will encourage you to spend a lot of time with your potential new pet and actually require that you spend at least 30 minutes with a pet before filling out an application.
Step Two: Adopt a Dog
Once you’ve found the right dog for you, you’re ready to adopt. In total, this process will take about an hour.
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the dog you want to adopt.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- You must show proof of landlord approval or home ownership if you are considering a dog or puppy that might have visual characteristics of a pit bull terrier (even if they are subtle).
- A CPA!-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally required for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. The price is listed on each dog’s record. This fee includes:
- spay or neuter surgery
- heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- first or more vaccinations
- first or more deworming treatment
- personality evaluation
- one month of pet health insurance
- Note: you may be requested to make an additional donation if a puppy/dog had a lot of medical costs.
Accepted forms of payment include cash or money order payable to Clermont Pets Alive! We’re sorry; we do not accept personal checks.
Step Three: Follow the Post-Adoption Instructions
Congratulations on finding your new family member! Don’t forget to complete the post-adoption instructions:
- Within 2 days of adoption, you will receive an email from us with your new dog’s medical records, microchip information, and 24 PetWatch insurance information. If you do not receive this email, please contact us at Records@ClermontPetsAlive.org.
- Your 24 PetWatch insurance information will be emailed to you within a couple of days after the adoption. If you do not receive this email, please contact us at Records@ClermontPetsAlive.org.
- Activate your free 30 day pet insurance by calling 1-877-291-1524 or visiting www.24PetWatch.com with the confirmation code emailed to you. Note the insurance must be confirmed within 7 days of adoption and does not cover pre-existing conditions. Once you have confirmed the insurance, coverage will begin on the second midnight following activation.
- Ensure that your dog’s microchip has been updated with your correct information by calling 24 PetWatch at 1-866-597-2424.
- Take your new dog to the vet within 7 days and fax or mail a copy of proof of vet visit within 14 days of adoption.1-877-204-4863 (Fax)
1250 W. Ohio Pike
Amelia, OH 45102
- If you need any help, please call us at 513-279-2276 or email us at Adoptions@ClermontPetsAlive.org.
- If you need behavior help with your new dog, please email us at Dog-Behavior@ClermontPetsAlive.org. We strongly encourage training for all dogs and owners and can recommend trainers to help with special issues or who offer discounts.